Tarnishing can occur as a result of oxidisation (a reaction to oxygen, sulphur and certain acids). It can also be caused as a result of contact with skin that has a naturally high acid content.
Here are some useful tips that you can follow to care for your MJJ jewellery:
- Keep each piece of MJJ jewellery separately in a pouch or soft lined box
- Remove your jewellery whilst cleaning, gardening and during sporting activities, including swimming (chlorine can cause damage to all metals).
- Protect your jewellery from chemicals, including nail varnish remover, perfume and hairspray. Household cleaning fluids can also cause scratches and reduce the lustre of the metal.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight and heat / cold.
- Thoroughly dry your jewellery after contact with water.
- Clean your jewellery regularly using a professional jewellery cleaning product (Always read the manufacturers instructions).